Thursday, October 31, 2013

Long Term Goals



What is your biggest personal long term goal?
A few of my biggest long term goals personally are oddly specific. One that I’ve had for a few years now is to run a marathon. Specifically, I would love to run the New York City Marathon. Growing up, my dad was always taking me on runs, or long bike rides with him. Seeing him compete in marathons and triathlons regularly inspired me to be active from a pretty young age. To most, marathons seem like some kind of special torture. In reality I think it takes a certain kind of determination and commitment to put yourself through all the training. If a person can train their mind and body to run 26.2 miles straight, they can do anything. To me, running a marathon means you could take on anything mentally or physically.
What is your biggest professional long term goal?
My biggest professional long term goal is harder to say. Although I haven’t started my clinicals yet, I can say I definitely have interests in different types of nursing. To work in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) has been a dream of mine since I was 15. The NICU is a specialized unit in hospitals that care for premature and/or sick newborn infants. I also have an interest in Emergency Room (ER) nursing. I think the fast-paced, chaotic nature of the ER is perfect for thinking on your feet and quick problem solving. For now, I would say my long term goal professionally would be to find a job in a good urban hospital in New York on a MedSurg floor to gain experience, then after a few years move onto higher specialty nursing. To be able to support myself and possibly a family financially in the future is very important and something I took into consideration while choosing my major and ultimately a career path, however finding a job that I love is above all most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment